Wow guys, it has been a whirlwind week for us at Legacy! All told, it has been good, but it is time to get back to writing. I asked a group of fellows about this, and I am submitting it you my dear readers. Intrigue or Combat heavy games? I love intrigue more than combat heavy for numerous reasons that I will outline below:
- Analytical Mind: I have a really analytical mind. It requires me to think, a lot. This is served in games that make me think on my feet rather than just slaughter my way through problems.
- Feel of the game: I always feel like I get more immersed in intrigue games vs combat heavy. When all I have to do is “I swing my sword, the monster dies” then I get bored. There has to be more depth than that.
- Growth Opportunities: You see more opportunities to have your character grow when there is RP vs just straight combat.
- Expansion: I always find it easier to expand on a game that is more about solving puzzles, finding clues and politics.
- Change of Pace: I find that the pace can change much better when there is not repetition.
With all of that being said, these are my favorite games featuring Intrigue/Politics:
- Call of Cthulhu
- Legend of the Five Rings
- World of Darkness
- A Song of Ice and Fire
- The Dresden Files
What do you think? What are your favorite games featuring intrigue? As always, follow Wheaton’s Law!